Friday, July 25, 2014

Junk(er) Life

I can't even believe it's almost the end of July, maybe the cooler weather is messing with my head. This week I hit up some pretty fun sales and thrifts and found some great stuff to add to the shop. Today I realized I was a true Etsy shop when I loaded 6 bags of packing peanuts and assorted boxes in my car and could barely see out the back. So without further ado, here are my finds and long winded explanations of how I acquired them.

First stop of the week was a barn sale where I found this NEVER BEEN USED  Michael Lax Copco Tea Kettle. The people running the sale told me that this was received as a wedding gift in the 70s and was never used. I just love hearing the stories behind the stuff I sell and I especially love hearing the stories from my customers. I sold a Pyrex casserole to a woman that told me her mom made pudding in this dish and it just wasn't the same since she lost the dish. Another customer who bought a Dansk carving board from me told me he got this very same one on his wedding day and it had been well used and was beyond repair. He was ever so excited to find this one and he never thought he would be able to replace it. This is probably a (big) part of why I love buying and selling this stuff so much, it's always nice to hear the history, the memories and the joy behind these forgotten objects. I have one of these kettles myself and use it every day and it belonged to my grandma. Since she is no longer with us, it's nice to have a daily reminder of her.


Also found some Blenko Suncatchers at the local vintage store in the bargain basement. I have a set of Noah's Ark sun catchers, that I inherited from my grandma and they hang in my apartment windows (and bring me joy).

Went to a true collector/ vintage hoarder's sale this week, the ad said jadeite and you know me, I had to go. When I got there, all I could see were boxes and boxes of stuff. I found some cute cherry glasses (pictured below), but no jadeite. I finally asked her and she brought out these beautiful bowls. She then asked for my number and told me she would call if she found any other stuff I might like.

Well, she did call and I happily took this other jadeite bowl and mickey mug off her hands. I guess she liked me, because the other woman at the sale who wanted the jadeite kept tell her that she was a dealer and then was pretty pushy. I guess sometimes it pays to be nice and not pushy.. 

Uh, world's cutest salt and pepper owls, I couldn't leave these behind.

Found the Oiva Toikka plate at my favorite thrift store, I spotted a woman walking around with a flora bowl and was super upset I missed it. Then strolled up and down the glass section until I spotted this. The Russel Wright and fun glasses came from another estate sale.
So, all in all, I did pretty well. I have a question for you guys, when you're at sales, do you tell people your dealers? I never do, because I think it gives me an advantage. I mean I also do collect this stuff, but mostly I try to re-sell it. I can't continue to buy if I don't sell. 
I'm linking with Melissa's Antiques, because I like seeing what you guys found and I hope you like seeing what I found too.

1 comment :

  1. Nope, never! That's just asking for higher prices. I love your bowls, its awesome she called you back :D

    ReplyDelete

Instagram